Rainy Day Moving Help: How to Handle Your Move in the Tampa, FL, Area in Inclement Weather
Relocating can be stressful enough for you and your moving help without the added inconvenience of a downpour during moving day. However, rainy season in Tampa, Florida, can be unforgiving, and if rescheduling isn’t an option, you may just have to stick to your original moving plans. If inclement weather is threatening to throw your move off course, here are some small steps you can take to handle the move without personal injury or damage to your possessions.
Moving becomes more dangerous when it’s raining, so it’s important to take the necessary precautions to protect you and your moving help from slipping and falling both inside and outside of the home. Here are some ways to avoid injury:
- Wear appropriate footwear. Sandals and other flat-bottomed shoes don’t grip well on slick surfaces, so wear boots or sneakers that won’t hydroplane on wet ground.
- Put gloves on. A basic pair of rubber gardening gloves will be immensely helpful in giving you and your moving help a firm grip on wet plastic bins and boxes.
- Prep your floors. Before you start moving, line the entryway of your old home, and your new home, with dry towels, sticky mats, or carpets to prevent you or your moving help from slipping.
Protect Your Belongings
Water can seep through boxes, causing them to weaken and break, not to mention damage your belongings inside. There are a few simple things you or your moving help can do to safeguard your possessions in the event of rain in the Tampa, FL, area.
- Use a trash bag for clothes. A large trash bag wrapped around groups of clothes (still left on the hangers) will not only make unpacking your clothes easier, but will also shield your clothes from the rain.
- Cover furniture in plastic. Plastic will protect your furniture and other large items from the rain, and these large covers can easily be found at your local moving store. Tarps work as well, and are handy for covering artwork by preventing water from seeping into the framing gaps.
- Use more tape. Water can loosen tape, so you and your moving help should wrap at least two layers around your boxes.
Consider Getting Professional Moving Help
Accidents happen more often when moving in inclement weather, so if the forecast calls for rain, hiring a professional moving company that offers mover’s insurance may be beneficial for the protection of your valuables. Some moving companies offer insurance at no additional charge when you purchase their services.
If you need moving help in Tampa, FL, contact our team of highly professional movers at Smart Move Moving today for a free quote.